Technical University of Sofia , based in Sofia , is the largest technical university in Bulgaria.Founded on 15 October 1945 as part of the Higher Technical School (later renamed to State Polytechnic), it is an independent institution since 1953, when the Polytechnic was divided into four separate technical institutes. It has had its present name and university status since 21 July 1995 and has 14 main faculties based in Sofia, Plovdiv and Sliven, as well as 3 additional ones with education only in foreign languages — German, English and French.
With Decree No 237, published in the State Gazette issue 248 from 24.10.1945, of the National Assembly of Bulgaria, a school called “State Polytechnic” is created with Mechanical engineering faculty with four divisions – mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and mining and geology.
In 1953, the State Polytechnic was split into four new higher institutes, one of which was the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It had two faculties – one of mechanical and one of electrical engineering.
Two years later, in 1953, the word “Higher” was added to the name.
In 1959, a faculty of Transport and Communications was formed which four years later (in 1963) was split into Faculty of Transport (existing until today) and Faculty of Radio Electronics.
The last was split into three in 1987 – Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technology, Faculty of Telecommunications and Faculty of Computer Systems and Control all existing today. Some of the staff of the newly formed Faculty of Computer Systems and Control used to previously work in the Faculty of Automatics, which was separated from the faculty of Electrical Engineering in 1974.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was only split once, in 1963, when two new faculties – of Machine Technology and of Power Engineering and Power Machines, were formed from it.
In 1991, the faculty of Management was formed.
On July 21, 1995 the current name was given – Technical University of Sofia.
In Sofia, the campus consists of a total of 14 building used for studies.Building 1 used to be army barracks and now houses the administration of the university as well as the administration, the offices of scientists and most laboratories of:
- The faculty of Electronics Engineering and Technology
- The faculty of Telecommunications
- The faculty of Computer Systems and Control
The University library, the University Publishing House, the University Information Resources Center are also situated there. The language center is a building dedicated only to foreign language learning. Also a separate building – Sports center houses an olympic size swimming pool and a number of other sports halls.
Main faculties in Sofia :
Faculty of Automation
Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technology
Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Faculty of Power Engineering and Power Machines
Faculty of Computer Systems and Control
Faculty of Communications and Communications technologies
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Machine Technology
Faculty of Management
Faculty of Transport
Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Informatics
Department of Applied Physics
Main faculties in Plovdiv :
Faculty of Electronics and Automation
Faculty of Mechanical and Device Engineering
A main faculty in Sliven:
Faculty of Engineering and Pedagogy
Faculties with education in foreign languages in Sofia:
Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management
English Language Department of Engineering
French Language Department of Electrical Engineering
General Admission Requirements
Application at the TU – Sofia is open to foreign students who hold a Secondary School Diploma, which allows them access to higher education institutions in the respective countries where they have completed their secondary education.
Enrollment Documents :
1. Application form, containing some brief biographical data, exact address, telephone and the label of the applicant’s desired specialty.
2. A copy of ID card.
3. A copy of the Secondary School Diploma and its Supplement(s) – for full-time applicants.
4. A document, issued by competent authorities, which testifies to the right of the applicant to further his/her education at university level in the count ry where they have completed their secondary school education.
5. A Transcript of Records – for transfer applicants who want to study at the TU for a limited period of time.
6. A Medical Certificate of Health issued within a month prior to the application date and verified by the competent authorities in the country from which the applicant submits his/her file.
7. Four recent passport-size photographs.
Ranking of the candidates/applicants for students on a full study course/term is based on their high school diploma scores in mathematics (min 3 years) and physics which should be no less than 62% of the maxi mum possible result according to the adopted evaluation system. Documents No 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 should be translated, legally verified by the consular service of the Republic of Bulgaria in the country of issue. In case there is no Bulgarian consulate in the respective country, the documents are legalised according to the routine practice and procedure for legalization, translation and verification of documents. Only original seals and stamps are accepted. Candidates without dual citizenship must attach copies of all required documents.
Only for checking the documents needed to apply, you can use the online form. Please fill the form in carefully. Fields marked with * (asterisk) are obligatory fields and require your special attention. Check again all data given in the completed form before saving the file and sending it.
Тhe required level of proficiency in English:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English).
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English).
- IELTS (bands 6, 7, 8, 9).
- PITMAN – Higher Intermediate – Advanced.
- TOEFEL (min. 550, 213 or 100 score).
Important dates for Bachelor’s:
- Submission of applications starts from: May 16, 2016
- Deadline for submission of documents: October 21, 2016
- The academic year 2016/2017 begins on 26.09. 2016
Important dates for Master’s:
- Submission of applications starts from: May 16, 2016
- Deadline for submission of documents: : December 19, 2016
- The academic year 2016/2017 begins on 10.10.2016
Tuition Fees of Technical University Sofia
|In English Language||2500 € / Per Year||3000 € / Per Year||4 Years|
|In Bulgarian Language||2500 € / Per Year||3000 € / Per Year||4 Years|
|Post Graduate||3000 € / Per Year||2 Years|
|Doctorate||3500 € / Per Year||2 Years|