The University of Forestry and Veterinary Medicine is the only university in Bulgaria providing training of specialists in the field of Forestry, Wood Technology and Furniture Production, Engineering Design of Furniture and Landscape Architecture.
The university also provides training of specialists in Ecology and Environmental Protection, Veterinary Medicine, Agronomy, Plant Protection and Management.Since 1995 the Faculty ofVeterinary Medicinetrains students in Veterinary Medicine. Since 2011 the university offers the veterinary medicine training in English. The students graduate with obtaining a degree “Master of Sciences” (M.Sc.) and they could proceed further on for obtaining a Ph.D. degree.
The course of education takes eleven semesters and the last one is a probation practice. A State exam is required for obtaining the M.Sc. degree. The graduates receive the qualification “Veterinary surgeon”.
• Language of education: English
The course of education takes eleven semesters (5.5 years) and the last one is a probation practice. The practical training course of the students from FVM at UF is an important element of their education as veterinarians and it includes three practices. The first training practice (after VI Semester – III course) concerns Animal Science and its duration is two weeks. The second training practice (after VIII semester – IV course) concerns clinical practice and its duration is four weeks. The third (probation) prediploma internship (after semester X – V course) is the last stage (before getting the diploma) of the veterinary medicine students training and it has characteristics of a professional specialization. The institutions for implementation of these practices are Livestock Institutes and Husbandry Complexes, Agricultural Cooperatives, Private Farms, Vet-clinics or Offices which are selected by the FVM Council. There is a possibility to perform the practice abroad according to the specific conditions of the programme and permission of the Dean of FVM.
The students graduate by sitting a State Exam and are awarded the qualification “Veterinary Surgeon” and the degree “Master of Sciences” (M.Sc.), and they could proceed further on as post-graduate students for obtaining a Ph.D. degree.
The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System is adopted by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Studying Veterinary Medicine, the students acquire knowledge in the following fields:
- Anatomy, Physiology, Husbandry, Animal Reproduction and Hygiene;
- Animal Nutrition, Technologies Related to Food Production for Animals;
- Ethology and Animal Protection;
- General Pathomorphology and Special Pathological Anatomy of the Animals.
The students obtain the skills to:
- Determine the causes, nature, development, diagnosis and treatment of animal diseases;
- Differentiate animal diseases;
- Assess the risk on opportunities for disease transmission from animals to human.
Furthermore, the following competences are obtained:
- Preventive medicine, in connection with research, analysis and certification;
- Hygiene, technology, control, production, storage and processing of food of animal origin for human consumption;
- Responsible and moderate use of veterinary pharmaceutical products for the treatment of animals and ensuring the safety of the food chain and environmental protection.
APPLICANTS REQUIREMENTS too Studying Veterinary Medicine in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at University of Forestry
The rating of the candidates is based on three different requirements. The first one is based on the level of education and knowledge on the basic subject – Biology. The second one is based on the score obtained from the test for proficiency in English language. The third one is based on the presented documents.
The following documents are required for application:
- Application Form with attached photo of the applicant – containing brief personal information and conformation of the applicant to study the desired specialty;
- Copy of the document (diploma) for completed secondary/high school education with an Appendix showing the grade in Biology by the applicant. The grade in Biology must be at least 62% of the maximum possible value in the respective country.
- Certificate issued by authorized institution indicating that the diploma hold by the applicant gives him/her the rights to continue his/her education in a university in his/her native country.
- Medical certificate indicating that the applicant is clinically healthy;
- Copy of ID candidate’s card.
- Two recent photos of the candidate (3,5/4,5 cm).
Documents concerning items 2, 3 and 4 have to be translated, legalized and certified in accordance with international treaties of Republic of Bulgaria with the State in which they are issued.
Enrollment is based on three components: 1. The average grade of the secondary/high school, 2. Grade in Biology from the Diploma, 3. Total score from the Test in English, which is held in the year of application in UF.
Terms for the Academic year 2016/2017:
- Application form has to be submittedby an authorized person from 20.06.2016 up to 09.09.2016 at the University of Forestry.
- The Test in English will be carried out in the main Campus on 12.09.2016 at 10:00 a.m. All applicants should be at the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine an hour earlier (main Campus, floor 1, room 105).
- The results from the Test in English and the list of admitted students will be announced on 13.09.2016 at 12:00 a.m. at the Dean’s Office (main Campus, floor 1, room 105).
- The term for enrollment of admitted students is from 13.09.2016 to 20.09.2016.
- The Academic year 2016/2017 starts on 26.09.2016.
• Tuition fees: € 4.700,00 per year for veterinary medicine